Day 12 Close-up
No matter what today's topic was going to be, or what number of day, I knew what I would write today. So it's a coincidence that today is Day 12 (September 12) - my late grandma's birthday.
Happy Birthday Baa (what I called her) - I am missing you so much today. When I woke up today, I visualized how you would play with Ruhi if you were around. You lived with me my entire life in India and you passed away about 6 weeks after I came to the US. Even though phone calls to India were very expensive in those days, I spoke at length with you on the last weekend before you passed away. I was fortunate and blessed to experience your love for 22 years. You are my only grand parent that was alive when I was born, and for me, you were everything I could ever wish for from a grandma. Love you and miss you so much. I wish you were still here with me!
The picture below is of grandma, my sister and I. Look how weak and pale she is? It's because the last few years of her life, her food pipe had become narrow, and since she was a heart patient who had survived more than one heart attack, she refused to go through surgery which would widen the food pipe. So she was on a liquid diet, and whenever she felt like eating something she could not resist, she would ask my mom to make it, and ask my mom to feed my sister and I in front of her, and would be content watching us eat to satisfy her craving. It was very hard for us to go through this. She became weaker and weaker, but was very alert. She was very spiritual and much forward in her thinking for her age. I remember watching Hollywood movies like "Baby's Day Out" with her. She was very fond of my dad, as he was her youngest child, and so naturally, among all cousins, had a special fondness for me and my sister. My mom had lost both her mom and dad before she got married to my dad, and she always always treated my mom as her daughter. I could go on and on praising her, but I wish more and more people are like her in their old age as my grandma.
I do have a close-up portrait of her, but not on my laptop. So putting up this picture for today's post. Radhasoami Baa!
3 comments:
May her soul rest in peace. You know, she is still alive in your thoughts, only her physical presence is gone!
Lovely post!
Vidya
It has been a while since I read such a touching post. Very nicely written.....
Lady,
I will be able to return your call only by Thursday eve. Till then, I am swamped!
Sorry about that!
Vidya
Post a Comment