This sentiment of having a purpose in life keeps coming up in conversations.
What IS my purpose in life?
Now that I’ve quit the typical 9-5 job, this question will come up even more often.
So let’s explore that a bit.
I DO have a huge responsibility as an only parent to raise my children and see them graduate high school followed by some college degree. But I don’t feel that’s my sole purpose in life.
I want to live long, and want a longer “health span”, not just a longer “life span”. For that, I need to take care of myself - physically, emotionally, mentally! But that cannot be your sole purpose either, can it?
I want to stay curious - travel the world, read a lot of books, go on hikes, learn an instrument, make art, cook new recipes, meet friends, have fun — that’s keeping the child in me alive, “playing” while living - can that be my purpose?
I’m sure I’ll have a second career of some sort - I don’t know what it is yet. Could that become my purpose?
Some people say purpose is the main reason you get up each morning 😂. Sorry, I find this too funny. These days I get up to get kids to school, or during weekends, their activities. And I certainly don’t want that to be my only purpose in life 😂
I took this quiz::
What they are looking for in this quiz is that you have a purpose that’s meaningful as well as positively impacts the lives of others or the world around you.
And this is what I got::
I don’t understand the results.
My true answer today to this question would be:
— Be the best parent I can be for my children
— Care for my aging parents
— Find a second career that aligns with my passion, skills, gives back to community, brings me joy, and something that I never have to retire from
— Leave Planet Earth better than when I was born - reduce my carbon footprint & stay vegan
— Inspire, influence, enable, empower, mentor, motivate, help fellow human beings as much, as often as I can
— Always be willing to help those who have less than me
— Bring peace
— Be kind
— Be empathetic
Care. Growth. Contributions. Curiosity.
Maybe I don’t need to figure out ONE purpose in life. There can be many. Or maybe my purpose can change as I keep changing. So purpose need not be a destination, but it can simply be a way I choose to live!!
If you are reading this - Do you have a purpose in life?




1 comment:
Oh, you are asking one of the most profound of questions.
If there was even the semblance of a clear answer, even if it was at the end of a difficult, long quest, the world will be a much better place. But no, there isn't a clear path for a definitive answer. Philosophers, religious thinkers, well, everybody on earth has been grappling with this idea since time immemorial. You list is as good as any that have been talked about.
Do I know what my purpose in life is ? No. I am content with living as good a life as I can ; never mind that defining what exactly is good is hard.
Post a Comment