{Archived post from July 2026}
This morning was our last morning in the Maldives.
It was gray and windy.
The sea wasn’t the brilliant turquoise from the last few days. The waves kept crashing into the shore, one after another, without pause.
Standing there, I found myself thinking about how small we really are.
More than two-thirds of our planet is covered by water. Beneath the surface is an entire world filled with coral reefs, fish, sharks, whales, manta rays, turtles, and countless forms of life that existed long before us and will continue long after us.
Then my mind wandered even farther.
Our planet.
Our solar system.
Our galaxy.
Billions of galaxies beyond.
In the grand scale of the universe, one human life is unimaginably small.
And yet, one human being can leave an immeasurable imprint on the lives of the people who love them.
Sameer lived a deeply fulfilling 49 years.
His absence has felt so loud.
When he died, it felt as though my own world had stopped.
But the earth kept rotating.
The tides kept rising.
The waves kept crashing.
Life kept moving on.
⸻
I didn’t come to the Maldives expecting to find peace.
Honestly, I came because I was tired.
I needed a break.
I needed uninterrupted time with Rusham and Ruhi.
And I needed little pockets of solitude in between.
Looking back, I’m actually grateful that I didn’t have adult company.
My heart, my soul, and my mind craved this quiet.
⸻
As I look back on the last four days, I realized how many “firsts” we experienced together.
Our first seaplane ride.
Our first stay in a water villa.
Snorkeling with majestic manta rays.
Swimming alongside nurse sharks and stingrays.
Riding a jet ski over the open Indian Ocean in search of dolphins.
Our very first scuba dive.
Watching rainbow fish and flying fish from our villa while enjoying both sunrise and sunset every single day.
Watching the FIFA Club World Cup on a giant projector under the stars by the beach.
Our first family beach photoshoot.
Somewhere along the way, I stopped counting countries and started collecting experiences.
These weren’t just items checked off a bucket list.
They were moments of wonder.
Moments of courage.
Moments of laughter.
Moments my children and I will carry with us forever.
⸻
Standing by the ocean this morning, I realized something.
My problems haven’t become smaller.
My grief hasn’t disappeared.
Some relationships are still painful.
There are still things I wish were different.
But somehow, they have become smaller relative to everything else that exists.
The ocean has always reminded me how fragile life is, yet how vast the world around us remains.
That realization didn’t make my grief disappear.
It simply made me breathe a little easier.
⸻
Today, I feel peaceful.
Not perfectly peaceful.
Not completely healed.
But peaceful enough.
Do I wish some things in my life were different?
Absolutely.
Am I accepting things as they are?
Also yes.
I’ve realized those two truths can exist together.
⸻
As I leave the Maldives, I’m taking home far more than photographs.
I’m taking home memories of courage.
Three first-time scuba divers.
Countless laughs.
A few tears.
Long walks.
Quiet mornings.
Conversations with strangers.
Time with my children that I’ll treasure forever.
And perhaps…
A little more room in my soul to breathe.
Ironically, my favorite morning wasn’t the postcard-perfect one.
It was this gray, windy morning.
Because it felt honest.
The last fifteen months haven’t been constantly stormy.
They haven’t been constantly calm either.
Like the ocean, life has simply kept moving.
Wave after wave after wave.
And somehow…
I’ve kept moving too!!



1 comment:
As the cliche goes, time and tide wait for no man.
We glimpse the utter insignificance of all life on earth when we contemplate the universe. Even on earth, the world simply moves on, even in the face of utter tragedy. It leads us to contemplate what really we are. Are we really so insignifcant ?
In the grand scheme of things, probably yes. But to our loved ones, we are the centre of the universe. And that's what is truly important.
Very nice that the three of you who mean the most to each other now, had plenty of "me time". These memories will always be priceless.
Post a Comment