January 28, 2014

What comforts you?

I was reading a book to the daughter last night at bedtime. In the book, a girl named Sophie gets very angry, and runs away from home, to calm down.

After our reading session, I happened to ask the daughter: "Why do you like to go to the beach?".
And pat came the answer: "Because it comforts me."
Wow. I was blown away by her response.
I told her: "I feel the same."

And it got me thinking. What else comforts me?

These days, it's Running. It's weird - I never look forward to it. But when I'm running, I find it comforting. The rhythm, the focus on breadth, the trail next to the river - it all comes together beautifully.

Reading a good book. Currently reading "Lean In" by Sandberg.

Cooking. I find comfort in my cooking skills - for I know I'm good and my family enjoy the meals I make.

Love, hugs, touch.

Conversations, kind words, compliments.

Coffee.

Meditation. Yoga. Prayers.

Long walks.

Flowers.

Gardening.

Music. Movies.

Workout. Biking. Swimming. Or playing a sport.

Sleep. Rest.

Laughter.

Time with kids, and family.

Quiet time.

Hot showers.

Cleaning. Either dishes or scrubbing bathroom floors.

Green tea. Lemon-honey-ginger water.

Mom's food. Chocolate.

Hiking to the top of the mountain and enjoying the view.

And last but not the least - Writing. Either here on the blog, or in my journal.

What comforts you?

4 comments:

Ramesh said...

Reading "Expressions"; a blog written by a wonderful lady !

But surely scrubbing bathroom floors cannot feature in this list lady ...... :):)

Unknown said...

A warm mug of tea.

Bhavika said...

Books and Movies for sure! Soothing music and quiet time. Not getting enough of it :(

Shachi said...

@Ramesh - I do love scrubbing the floors. Only in my house here though.

@D Biswas - yep I'd love it too.

@Bhavika - why? make time for yourself.