December 2, 2015

San Bernardino

As I cruised through my daily routine, I learnt about the shootings being reported in San Bernardino. The fear that these mass random shootings are causing is humongous.

I recently took a class at work on self defense. We learnt about how to protect ourselves in dangerous situations. It was a hands on class taught by ex-military personnel and a Martial Arts instructor who is also an Intel employee. And I was feeling good about equipping myself with the tools that I learnt in class. But all that is useless in situations of such random, senseless shootings. You just have to be present at the wrong place, wrong time and your life will either be gone or forever be altered.

A friend of mine asked me out for a movie earlier this week, and I felt terrified of just the two of us (girls) going to the theatre alone at night. I asked her to wait until weekend so that we could go during the day. And as taught in my self defense class, I'll be sure to sit where they recommended, and be aware of all exits and surroundings. To live with such fear, day in and day out, is crippling. And by God's grace, nothing has happened to me or my family....yet. Still, there's this terror that numbs me every single day.

When I think about my kids, I get tears in my eyes. I do my best to keep them safe, but anything can happen anywhere, anytime. Shootings, abuse, bullying, drugs, depression - there is so much to deal with. My housekeeper's niece was recently caught doing drugs in middle school. Our town is notorious for drugs. My children are still young and go to private school, but eventually, a lot of these things will come into play for me, and I will have to educate them. I don't remember growing up with so much fear.

I feel helpless at times, but I also believe in doing whatever you can to make a difference. I helped a few friends from Chennai today with information on how to get in touch with their family. I trained all my daughter's elementary school teachers for a maker workshop that I am doing for the kids on Friday. I covered for two of my colleagues at work who are on vacation. In my own little ways, I try to pay it forward.

And I hope and pray for the victims and their families!

3 comments:

Ramesh said...

The solution is blindingly obvious to all except Americans (the red variety).

Abolish the Second Amendment. No civilised country has an equivalent.

And brand the NRA as a terrorist organisation, which is what it is in my book.

Shachi said...

@Ramesh - it's really getting out of hand now. I am totally with you on the steps that need to be taken. Who's listening though?

Bhavika said...

I feel the same whenever I hear the news about shootings.. especially places like schools and theaters, what can you do?! I thought only I was being paranoid. We were visiting this big public event for Christmas, full of crowd and mostly kids -- I was so terrified as the thought crossed my mind few times. I am afraid of going into public places with huge crowd! It's crazy I know but the kind of shootings happening all the time, it is impossible to live without fear or doubts. I cannot even imagine how difficult it must be for you with the kids in school. I am just beginning my life here and all these things often make wonder if I'm making a right choice. As you mentioned in the previous post, it takes YEARS of efforts to call this place a home and I am still an outsider. I do not belong here, so whenever something goes wrong, my first instinct is to go back to my country! As you said, wherever you go, there are things that are beyond your control. Doing our bit, educating kids and being aware of the surroundings seems the only way to control (or cover?) our fear.