April 24, 2012

Random Musings

I absolutely love that the daughter chooses to call me "Mummaiyo" when she is feeling all lovey-dovey and greets me when I return home from work. She says Mumma, Mummy, Mama, Shachiiiiiiii at other times but Mummaiyo is always very special :).

I like to think of the coming weeks as my tushie n tummie growing times :). Not too excited about this growing aspect, but I always think of the reward at the end to help me chug along!

Comparison of our kids development - We all know that each child is unique and gifted. Comparison is not worth it. But is it really possible to never compare your child with anyone else? I don't think so. Some people hate it when I mention few things here and there, so I usually limit such conversations with people who I know will understand and relate to it. I adore my child, and for me she is perfect.....however, I also want the best for her, and so sometimes I just compare her with kids of her age to see if she is developing normally. I think it's healthy, and it just shows that as a parent, I love her and care for her. Boo to people taking it negatively!

We need to buy a new car.....I'm doing some amount of research every day and taking notes of various options, features, prices, mileages. We will be going for test drives soon. All this is fun, until I have to haggle with the dealer. I absolutely hate dealing with car salesmen and bank loan agents in this country. I am dreading that aspect already. I'll see if I can get a great deal without having to go through the negotiations at the dealer.

Before becoming a mom, I could read a book from start to finish without any issues. It was not always in one sitting, but it never took months either. I rarely used to quit reading something I started. As a mom, I find it very difficult to get to a point where I'm actually enjoying a book. Once I am over the tough first few pages or chapters and have started enjoying it, I find myself taking out time from nowhere to get to the end. I am currently reading "Room" and for the first 75 pages, I struggled. I quit reading it for a week and now that I have read more than half of the book, I think I will finish it before the weekend starts :). Not sure what I will read next, so if you have any suggestions (mostly non-fiction), please pass them along.

Conversationing with the daughter is becoming even more enjoyable:
  • Hubby has this Talking Cat app on his iphone where the cat repeats everything you say - the daughter will talk to the cat for 10 mins straight. She will show her all her toys, introduce all the body parts, say phrases like "I knowwwwwww" "oh maaaaaan" "no wayyyyyyyyy" "oh yaaaaaaa" "oh oh" in such an Americanized accent. She will describe everything she did that day, say names of all her daycare friends - hubby and I just patiently listen to the conversation. I should record it sometime soon to show her when she grows up :). 
  • Every morning, I ask her, "where are we going today?" and she will have one of these four answers. 1) Park 2) Swimming 3) kaki (waikiki) beach 4) Maamu-Maami house (she calls most of our friends maamu-maami). She knows she is going to be dropped off at daycare (and she loves it there), but those other choices are way better :). 
  • She knows how to convey the same thing in different languages. "Bhua" "paani" "water" - she uses all three when she is thirsty. "one more" or "biju aap" when she wants more of the same thing. I find it amazing and fascinating. 
  • She knows when I am tired by the end of the day. When I get into bed, she says "mumma tired" "baby tired" and is usually very gentle with me. It tells me that her sensing is very powerful even at this young age.
  • She is able to read body language fairly well. The other day hubby n I were having a small argument, she sensed it and immediately started acting goofy to distract us and let it go.

People who don't have kids don't understand some of the constraints that parents of kids have. Enough said.

I took Pioneer Woman's Flatbread Pizza recipe and made "Naan Pizza" over the weekend. It was yummy......the pesto base tasted better than the marinara base. In case you are interested, here is a list of ingredients I used: Naan (from Costco), Pesto sauce and Marinara sauce (from Trader Joes), red+yellow+orange+green bellpepper, zucchini, red onion, garlic cloves, roma tomatoes, Amul cheese, avocado, olive oil, salt, pepper :).



Early to bed and very early to rise.....makes people suspicious :). That's what happened when I set out for an hour long walk with the daughter on Saturday early in the morning. We were the odd ones out. People did not understand why we were out so early. But, we saw tons of chirping birds, doggies doing their morning thing on walks with their owners, we took a short break at the edge of hill and looked out at the green pastures, we saw awesome flowers of different colors, and we had a lovely mom-daughter time.

I don't like the new blogger interface :(. I'm sure with time, I will get used to it.

Enough of musings from my end for now......I am looking forward to my yoga class tonite :)!

13 comments:

SK said...

Ok what does this mean?

>>I like to think of the coming weeks as my tushie n tummie growing times :). Not too excited about this growing aspect, but I always think of the reward at the end to help me chug along!
Congrats in order?

Comparing babies is inevitable :--) but all parents find their the cutest/sweetest everything. So as long as you don't hurt other parents, continue comparing :--)

Shachi said...

@SK - sent you an email :)!

Ramesh said...

Mummaiyo,

1. Plizz to post photo of the new Ferrari.
2. Book suggestion - Tintin comics
3. What on earth is a "Naan Pizza" ???

Shachi said...

@Ramesh - What is the farthest from a Ferrari :)? That's what I will be buying :(. Ooh shud bring some Tintin from the library :)....Naan Pizza is simply what the name suggest...pizza made with Naan as a base and your choice of grilled toppings/sauce :). My husband is a big naan fan (I'm not) so this was for him :P!

Deana said...

What cars are you looking at? I drive so infrequently anymore that, as long as it's running, I'm fine. Although, I would not turn my nose up to a brand new volvo, vw, or mercedes. ;) heeeheee!

I had to look up Amul Cheese, I have not heard of it. So here's a question that I didn't realize I had until I read your post. . . When we were in India, we never ate cheese. Is it a common ingredient? I don't know that I've ever had it in Indian food.

Keep chugging along. And love little R stories...she's such a blessing to you!

Shachi said...

@Deana - Boring cars.....might look at a Volvo 7-passenger and see how it works for us. Mostly leaning towards a Honda - as I said, boring, but convenience over style I guess!

Cheese is not a staple - because bread in general is not. We use paneer and ghee in rotis, naan, etc.....in India, while growing up, we only got one cheese - Amul cheese. Amul is the name of the dairy :). I didn't know the differences between swiss, mozarella, mexican, etc for quite some time. Once I came here, I was like wow. Although I have never been to the UK, I've sampled cheeses from there (family brings them) and I love them so much more.

R is a blessing - you are right! And so is Max...he always brings a smile on my face :)

Deana said...

I'm all about convenience in cars...you remember I drive a giant 12 passenger van to fit Max's wheelchair and equipment in! :)

Thanks for the info on the cheese. I have had ghee plenty of times, and quite like it. But, am not a fan of paneer, and have tried it several ways.

Gauri Trivedi said...

Aww come on..this can't be true..we are looking for a new car too and have been getting quotes and corresponding with dealers since the past week..we seriously need to get our kundlis checked he he !!

Anonymous said...

Awww such a wonderful post! :)
The way you post whatever Ruhi talks is so cute!
Naan pizza? Will try it soon! I'm a crazy fan of naan! :D
And mornings walks are so exciting and beautiful.. Glad you enjoyed yours with Ruhi! :)
And I hate the new interface too, so switched back to the old! :D

Shachi said...

@Deana - you don't like paneer? ummm maybe I can cook it for you (home-made one) and have you try it one more time :). I love it!
@Gauri - which one are you considering? my choices are very boring. We will buy one close to July though. Quarter end deals are the best.
@Aaekay - I don't know how to switch back the interface....will look into it. Looking forward to your posts :). Yes, do try naan pizza and let me know how you like it.

Deana said...

I will try it one more time...I just don't like it mushy. I think more than the taste it is a texture thing.

Anonymous said...

I tried naan pizza tonight! And all I have to say is that it tastes delicious!!! :)
Thanks Shachi! :)
Hopefully a blog update tonight. :)

Anonymous said...

Shachi, check out my blog update! And thanks for motivating me to do it with your expectations of a new post!!!
Hugs! :)