February 12, 2012

Music

Grammys tonite - Whitney's death - a Prarthana Sabha with wonderful bhajans last night - music is definitely on my mind this Sunday morning.

Just like pretty much everything else in my life, listening to music has also taken a backseat. It's not that my life is boring....but I just choose to enjoy the daughter to the fullest and when I'm not with her, I spend that time either working or running the household and sleeping - I love to sleep!

But last week was different. I found pockets of time during the day (at work, at home in the evening, events) where I got a chance to listen to some really good music.

My interest in music is varied - from little bit of classical, to gujarati songs, to Kishore Kumar and other classic oldies in Bollywood, to country-pop-RnB, and all latest radio hits in the Western World. I also love Yanni, and ofcourse Beethovan, and many other classical pieces.

Do you know why the original CD was 74 minutes long? Because its enough to hold entire Beethovan's 9th in  just one CD.

Whitney Houston's "I will always love you" is one of my all time favorite songs. She passed away yesterday, and I've heard this song 5 times already after reading the news.

Yesterday, I was at a Prarthana Sabha in the bay area. One person delivered such a wonderful rendition of "Pankhida ne aa pinjaru" - I was in tears listening to it. Here is the video sung by legendary Mukesh. What beautiful lyrics!


The daughter and I listened to these two songs one evening this week.....the first one is a R.D.Burman classic (even though it maybe copied) and the second one is one amazing Naushad composition.



On the radio, I'm totally addicted to Adele - I can't wait to watch her perform at the Grammys tonite :)...I'm pretty certain she is going to sweep all the categories she is nominated in. Listen to this:


Last, but not the least, I love this techno remix of Beethovan's Fur Elise.....it always gets me moving ;)


Do you love these songs as well? Which are some of your favorites?

5 comments:

Ramesh said...

Music is, of course, fo the soul, whatever be the taste in genre. But today even the music seems to mourn for Whitney Houston - what a sad story. Perhaps there are"days the music died" too .

Shachi said...

@Ramesh - did you try to post a link? It's giving me an error when I click on it. Yes she was found underwater in a bathtub...these folks are so depressed and lonely; I wonder how such tragic incidences can be prevented.

Ramesh said...

Oh yes, I did try to post a link, but so much for my html :(

I was referring to Don Maclean's Bye Bye Miss American Pie ....

Gauri Trivedi said...

Would love to listen to Gujarati songs but have totally lost touch..would you recommend a few albums?

Shachi said...

@Ramesh - yes true and tragic :(
@Gauri Trivedi - my sister who is much more of a fan than I am recommends this site: http://tahuko.com/?p=1505