March 15, 2011

Losing a cell phone.....



And being reunited with it after 4 days....

I went through a whole bunch of feelings and thoughts while the above happened.

I left my cell phone at the bank, and when I figured out after few hours that it's missing, I called them. They refused to have found it. I went to the bank, and the manager was very rude, and defensive. I had made no accusations whatsoever, still, he insisted more than once that his staff would not steal it. I went back to a couple of stores where I had been before going to the bank, but as I made the rounds, I came to the conclusion that either I forgot the cell phone at the bank or dropped it on the ground in the bank parking lot or home parking lot.

I went back to the bank to talk to the employee that helped me with my banking needs, and he refused to have seen it.

I came back home, and deactivated it. I changed my email passwords, and tried to locate my data backup on the PC. I had 95% of the data backed up, as well as all my contacts. I was only worried about a few videos of my daughter that I had not backed up. I sent an email to the company whose application I was using to create the videos and whose server they were uploaded on, and they promptly got back saying they would help restore them for me. So on that front, I was a bit relieved.

The day I lost it - I felt mentally exhausted. After putting my baby to sleep, I mentally was thinking which phone I will buy, and why. What should I do next time to more cautious about not losing it in the first place. I have not researched cell phones for a while now, so I only had a vague idea of what's out there in the market. I was leaning towards getting an android phone vs another iPhone.

I was a bit disappointed to lose it. More than the money, it was the hassle involved in getting a new one and getting all the data/applications back on.

However, I constantly had a feeling (the sixth sense) that I would find it back. So as soon as I woke up, I asked my sister to call her apartment office and ask them if someone has turned it in. They said no. I asked her to call the bank again, and ask if they could check the surveillance videos during the time I was there and an hour past that....and if need be, we would lodge a police complaint for it. The bank said they would not check their tapes for a lost or stolen cell phone, so we hung up.

However, after 30 minutes, the bank called back saying they found the cell phone. When my sister went to pick it up, they lied to her saying someone had turned it in. Another employee said it was found near the safe deposit box. I had already left my sister's place to return home, so the bank agreed to ship it overnight to me.

I found this whole thing suspicious from the beginning. It was obvious that some employee took it, and then when they realized that we would inform the police or the tapes might be checked, they decided to return it to me.

I got my phone back yesterday, and its working fine. All the data is there, and life is normal again. When you have a smart phone, a lot of your life revolves around it. In fact, it was liberating not to have the smart phone with me for the last 4 days. No email to check, no phone calls to make or receive, no social networking, no news/videos to watch, etc. I'm thinking I should spend this kind of a day at least once a week going forward :)!

3 comments:

Sushma Harish said...

Gr8 Sachi- I liked reading this one.

Shubhika Taneja said...

Interesting. Atleast you got it back, thats really great!

Shachi said...

@Sushma - Thank you :)
@Shubhika - I'd already convinced hubby to buy me a new ones...so those hopes are dashed hehe...but I prefer getting it back anyday :)