March 29, 2010

Questions I've been pondering over.....

Last week was a very introspective week for me. I watched very little telly, did not talk to people on the phone, did not go out for any activities other than work, and spent a lot of time by myself.

Here are some of the thoughts on my mind....

- New beginnings - they are exciting and refreshing. You look forward to them so much. But then there's anxiety too, of how you will do. I was/am nervous about beginning a new phase of my life soon. My mind tells me to focus and be positive. And enjoy the journey to the fullest, without worrying about the end result :).

- Shopping for unnecessary stuff - I have a few things that I am planning to buy in the next 2-3 months. Some of of them are necessary things for the house and others are personal needs. The question on my mind is - Do we really need all the stuff we buy? Isn't marketing these days so clever that we look at a product at the store or see the ad on TV and we want to buy that product? Don't we always buy more than what we really need? Do we think about how it gets to us, how much are we polluting the environment as a result? My mind tells me to always pause and ask myself before buying anything - "Do I really need this"? Can I do without it or is there any other alternative? I think just by doing this small exercise, we will slowly be able to control our impulsive buys and help the environment (maybe not the economy as much ;)).

- Barefoot philosophy - I recently read a blog post on barefoot philosophy. Have you tried walking barefoot on the grass, or at the beach on the sand? Walking at the beach barefoot is one of the things I enjoy the MOST. But there's more to it than just the fun. It makes you feel free, it makes you live in the moment, it makes you enjoy the simple pleasures in every day life that go unnoticed. The blog author also mentions that having a blog itself is one aspect of following this philosophy. You are opening a part of yourself to the virtual world, and putting yourself in a vulnerable position. Try this philosophy in different aspects of your life, and see how positively it can affect you.

- What is your last thought before you go to bed every night? And what is your first thought when you wake up every morning? - Recently, I have changed my routine. And I have been seeing really positive results. I think about one happy moment that touched me during the day before I go to sleep. Doing this simple exercise relaxes me, calms me down, and brings a lot of peace. It also takes away the worries and stress of the day, and helps me remember the positive. When I wake up, I open the blinds to let the sun in, soak the rays for a couple mins, and then say a small prayer. Sometimes I meditate, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I read a book before starting to get ready for the day. Spending these few mins in the sun, and starting the day with positive energy makes a huge difference during the day.

- True friends vs acquaintances - I have greatly reduced socializing with people just for the sake of it. I don't invite anyone and everyone at home, neither do I visit people that I am not close with. I rather have few friends who I am most compatible with, who I can relate with, who I respect, who help me grow as a person everyday and also find something interesting in me that helps them grow to continue the relation. There is still work for me to do in this area, and slowly I will get there. As I grow older, I find that only meaningful conversations and relationships make me happy. I don't like being part of huge crowds these days. I feel blessed to have family and friends who I connect with deeply, and although I would always be open to new friendships, I am content with the circle around me at the moment.

I am sure you folks in the blog world will find these thoughts interesting. Feel free to share your views and opinions with me if you wish :)

4 comments:

Shubhika Taneja said...

Excellent post. I concur with all points except the "shopping" one :-).
Relax & enjoy the present time, you are going to be great,

Marit C-L said...

Hey Sachi! Thanks for stopping by my blog - the hike took about 2 hours total...I think the distance was at or around 6 miles - and there was a total elevation gain/loss of 1700 feet. VERY beautiful views - and especially this time of year when things are green and the flowers are blooming.

GREAT post - very insightful. I'm like you, in the sense that I really try to cultivate the close/true friendships... believe it or not, I can be pretty shy in a crowd, and in all honesty, I prefer small groups of friends to a larger gathering any day. And I think you're SPOT on about advertising and how strong the pull really is for us (consumer) to make a purchase without even realizing it. Can't tell you how many times I've stopped myself from buying a pack of gum at the checkout counter....

As for the long-term projects and results - yep... I'm with you there as well. When you know changes are on the horizon, its very natural to be nervous and anxious. But you're smart because you realize that you really can't worry about the future right now. You can take steps to prepare...but the worry part isn't great...

Okay - sorry about the long message :) Have a GREAT night!

Marit C-L said...

I meant Shachi - so sorry about the spelling! I never was great at that....

Shachi said...

@Shubhika - Thank you :)...yep doing that everyday.
@Marit - Thank you for the info...I love hiking so much, and yes this time of the year is great with greenery all around.

Thanks for the wonderful comments. Each aspect of life needs work - it is important to acknowledge and be aware of where you want to go - to begin with, and then the tough part of actually working on it.

I learn a lot from you as well :)