March 17, 2010

Chikoo in California....

Announcement - Chikoo Fruit is now available in California :)!!!!

Today is the day when I first ate a fresh chikoo fruit in the US.

A few days ago, my friend P who loves chikoo's as much as I do told me that he found them at the local Indian grocery store and brought them home. Along many other fruits available in India but not in the US(alphonso mangoes, custard apple, etc), this is one I miss a lot. 

Since P and I don't live in the same town, I was waiting for the day when I could go to his place and get them myself. Last weekend we visited him and I asked my hubby and sister to check the Indian store for this fruit. P had gone a day earlier to the store and told me they didn't have any, so I did not have high hopes of getting them.

Much to my delight, my folks found the fruit and brought it home. They told me it is not ripe and will take a few days before I could eat it. It was hard for me to resist, and I kept checking them everyday to see if they ripened. Finally today morning, I thought one of them was edible now, so I washed it thoroughly, cleaned it with a paper napkin, and took it with me to work. 

I took the first bite while driving in my car to work - and it was DELISH!!!!! Very nostalgic....it instantly reminded me of all my India trips during Dec-Jan when I get back home, and I devour this fruit the day I land. My parents would have bought all my favorite things for me, including chikoo, and my real "food" vacation would start :). 

It's almost lunch time yet and I am dreaming of eating it again after lunch....will click a picture and post it here as well!!!!!

If you live away from home, which fruit do you miss the most?



5 comments:

Marit C-L said...

THANK YOU for the great comments on my blog - I really appreciate it! :) As for the fruit...I grew up in Minnesota and I really miss gooseberries. My parents had a bush near the garage in our back yard, and my sister and I would pick them all the time. Even the sour ones were good...

Hope that you're having a great day!

Deana said...

I've never had a Chikoo fruit! But I ate a ton of mango in India!! Something I wish we could get all the time here are lychees! We can only find them occasionally at the Asian grocery and sometimes the Indian grocery.

I bought a palate of Indian mangoes for Vijays birthday 2 years ago. There was a bakery in San Jose that had got them in. I know there are some from India we are able to get now in the states.

Shachi said...

@Marit - Thank you for stopping by my blog :). I love gooseberries too :)

@Deana - Mangoes - oh how I miss them. I went back home twice in summer just for those wicked good mangoes.....and couple years ago, my mother-in-law got me a bag full of alphonsos from India....I kept them in my bedroom so that I could smell them all night :P

Lychees - we get them here during summer at the farmers' market....do check the local market in your area as well.

Shubhika Taneja said...

I miss the alphonsos :-)

Shachi said...

@Shubhika - me too - dearly :)