July 15, 2009

A visit to the local farmers' market


Hubby and I went to the Sunday morning Farmers' market last weekend in downtown Sacramento and it was so much fun.

Farmers' markets are places where farmers offer agricultural produce they grow themselves for direct sale to the public. By eliminating the middleman's additional costs and multiple product handling, both the farmers and the consumers benefit. Each farmer is inspected and certified before he/she is allowed to sell at the market. Most of the produce is vine or tree ripened. All the produce sold is from local farms. 

I used to visit this market frequently when I was single, but after getting married, I never went even once (don't ask why). Couple weeks ago, my husband went to the market with our neighbours to check it out, and he loved it. 

So last Sunday, we both woke up early, took a couple cloth shopping bags and cash in our wallets to go shopping. 

The first feeling I got upon reaching there is being in India. I used to go with my mom every Sunday morning to the city for buying fruits and vegetables. It reminded me of that experience.

Most of the shoppers were Asian, and some of the farmers were Asian too. 

We walked through the entire market once to see whats available, carefully observing the quality of produce and its price at every vendor. And then we started shopping!

We thoroughly  enjoyed our grocery shopping, and we brought home organic produce at very low prices. We were amazed to find fruits like fresh apricots and lychees which are rarely seen in the department grocery stores in our area.


What we bought:
- Blackberries
- Red Seedless Grapes
- Fresh apricots
- Melon
- White + Yellow peaches
- Plums
- Fresh Corn
- Red Potatoes
- Red Onions
- Green Beans
- Green Bell Pepper
- Okra
- Gourd
- Cilantro
- Basil Leaves

I also bought a small bag of dried lavender petals from a farmer, which I am using as my car freshener...and my car smells heavenly. It cost me only $2, versus a regular car freshener that I buy from Walmart costs $5. 

I could find rare items like bee pollen, local honey (for people with pollen allergy), and locally made olive oil at the market.

I am making a resolution to frequent this place more often now!

Enjoy the pics!

"Have patience with the growers. Smile at them and appreciate them. If you do, you will find them smiling back and appreciating you in return. That is what certified farmers' markets are really about. Smiles and mutual appreciation. Families growing food for families. Californians supporting California.". - From here


6 comments:

Keshi said...

wow some happy grocery shopping there! :)

I love Okra btw.


**Have patience with the growers. Smile at them and appreciate them

so so true! imagine the patience they need to hv, to grow all those lovely fruit n veges for us?


Keshi.

Shachi said...

@Keshi - thank you chica :) I did not like okra much when I was in India but here I seem to love it...maybe because we don't get as many Indian vegetables out here :) Farmers are a bunch of patient pepole...I can never be like them ;)

Keshi said...

ur right...we appreciate our native fruit n veges even more now that we r overseas :)

o btw, u dun hv to post ur award in ur blog if u dun wanna hehe. but if u really want to, I can show u how to. Just let me know.

Welldone girl! That was so spot on :) I cudnt hv done that!

Keshi.

Keshi said...

btw I hv received ALOT of blog awards in the past but never put them up in my blog..no time and no space lol!


Keshi.

Shachi said...

@Keshi - I want to display it :) It would be my first one and it's a good memory....so please tell me how to do it :)

Keshi said...

aww thats great :)

Just go to ur Blog's Layout section...choose 'add a gadget'...then it will take u to a list of gadget types (a separate window). In there, select PICTURE, and it will take u to a page where u can give the pic addy/name etc. The pic is the award I gave ya..just add it's addy or name (from where u hv saved it).

Hope this helps. If u hv probs, let me know. All the best!


Keshi.