Hello there!
It's been months again since I popped in here...I need to make writing a habit and discipline, as soon as possible! I miss it so much!
There is SO much going on, life is full and filled with joy!
Today, I want to share a few things about the #1 thing on my priority list right now - training for my first full marathon, CIM (California International Marathon) on Dec 8th.
Having done a few half's last year and this year, as well as some trail runs, I wanted to keep the momentum going and knock out this bucket list item. It's an intimidating goal, to say the least. I have no idea how I gathered the courage to sign up last December, the day the registration opened up. But I did it!! And here we are....
Official training started in August, but I kept running from Jan through May to keep up with the routine and fitness level. I had an injury scare in May after running a half marathon so I consulted a PT, and took a break for couple months from running during summer break. I was anxious and nervous about the injury, as well as the training load when August came around. It's been 10+ weeks into training now, and I can say it's easily the most intense routine I've undertaken in my life so far.
I have been going to the PT as and when needed to ensure that the injury doesn't flare up, and am training under the guidance of 3 running coaches as part of a group, so I hope I am doing all the right things to prevent serious injury. At this point, the goal is to get to the start line healthy - if I can do that, I know I can run the race!!!
There are also a ton of other things that you need to worry about other than the runs itself. Running is an expensive sport, in my opinion. Not only you pay for all the races you run, you need to invest in good shoes, socks, clothing that doesn't chaff, visors/hats, hydration pack, gels/food for long run, electrolytes that don't cause GI issues, a good GPS watch for tracking, pre-post workout nutrition, salt tabs, foam roller, epsom salt, massages to keep the legs fresh, and the list goes on. Each of these things takes trial and error until you figure out what works and what doesn't.
I read a quote recently which really stuck with me, "A marathon is hundreds of miles...the finish is the last 26.2". I am at the stage of training where we are running 4-5 days every week, with speed work on the track every Tuesday, tempo/fast paced runs every Thursday, and long slow runs that build endurance every weekend. It's been years I have been so disciplined about a lofty goal, outside of work and home responsibilities. I'm quite enjoying the intense pressure of sticking to the plan...it is changing me in ways I cannot describe yet.
I have also managed to build a supportive running community around me. I manage to find company whether it's 5.45 am on a cold, dark, windy weekday, or on a Sunday morning for a 3+ hour run where you can go crazy if you don't have the right mindset and company to make it fun! Coached workouts are also fun, as the coaches are there to push and motivate us and those are days I let my body do the work, and give my mind a rest.
There have been a few downsides too. For the first time in many years, I could only go for Garba once. All other events fell on nights where I had a long run or race the next day, and I needed to rest my legs. I missed out on many fun times with my gujju gang this year. I've had to stay on top of my nutrition, and sometimes it gets tough to always find healthy, filling choices for snacks and meals. I feel like I eat every 2 hours, but thankfully I'm not gaining weight by sticking to a 100% plant based diet. I've also had to decline many social gatherings, and I have a feeling I've gotten distant from a few good friends who we used to hang out with often. None of them are runners - in fact, there is only 1 person from my Indian community who runs with me, so they don't relate to the running athlete lifestyle. Most people find it an obsession, and not a good one. I, on the other hand believe:
"Toeing the starting line of a marathon, regardless of the language you speak, the God you worship or the color of your skin, we all stand as equal. Perhaps the world would be a better place if more people ran." -Dean Karnazes.
Wish me luck please as the next 4 weeks are the most crucial, after which we will taper down to be ready for Dec 8th.
Sharing a few pictures of my journey so far....
We have amazing trails around our area....early morning runs means spectacular sunrises, calm waters with reflections, animal sightings, and an abundance of fresh air....
In love with these Injinji toe socks, such a huge game changer in preventing toe blisters....
The hills around where I live...the most tough running routes cross by my house....
The coaches always write quotes or motivational words during tough hilly workouts to keep us going.....
Sunrise - I wouldn't miss this for the world....
One of my consistent running partners - she is 61, a grandma, and perfect company for me. My running companions range from ages 49 through 73, every single person is older than me, and many are faster than me......
Flaunting my new Goodr's.....
On one of our long runs.....
My early bird group....we are moms who have kids in various sports and Saturdays are busy shuttling them for their games, so we always meet up early to get done by 8.30am....
A part of my running group at Tuesday track workout - I'm the only Indian in this paid coached group....
Playing at the End of Summer
1 day ago









3 comments:
Yipeee. You are back.
Very impressive. Running is a lonely sport even when you do it in a group. The early mornings, the need to go to sleep early, etc etc all make it tough on the social life.
But then you get to look cool in the Injinjis and Goodrs. No wonder your list of running "equipment" is long. Seriously ??
What news of R and R ?
Good luck with the training. Kipchoge's recent record is going to be in serious trouble on the 8th :)
I can’t even do 100m @Kipchoge’s pace lol!!
I’ll do a post on RnR - both are doing great!!
How have you been?? I miss India, haven’t been back in 3+ years :(
Lovely post ... you should write travel blogs ��
I’m happy for you ...
Post a Comment