- I am now used to flights getting delayed. But my family is not....which causes lot of stress for me.
- Handling the baby at the airport and during the flight was "okay", except for the part where she kept pulling the hair of the lady in front for her. She did this with 3 different ladies - one at airport, one on our first connection, and one during our second connection :). We got lucky to encounter "gentlewomen".....and I sure hope the trend continues ;)
- We checked the weather a few times before we left - forecast was for rain, and max temp of low 60's throughout our stay, so we packed accordingly. Today, it did not rain even once, and the temperature reached 79F. The baby is sleeping in a onesie, albeit it's a full sleeve so she has rolled up the sleeves. If this continues, we will be buying a lot of souvenirs in the form of clothing ;).
- Costco in Anchorage has fresh made Gelato - too bad the line was so long that I could not try it out. As always, Costco rocks....found everything I needed and then some.
- I asked the lady at the hotel reception desk about things to do in Anchorage. She said "We have a mall" and that's pretty much it. Duh, did I pay so much and lug all this baggage here to go to the mall? I asked another guy who looked like a helper about "Portage Glacier" which is like an hour away from downtown Anchorage. He said he's never been there - he looked like he was atleast 60yrs old, if not older. I was not surprised by his answer though, coz I have heard this from other people at many different destinations. I guess we are blessed and privileged to be able to travel.
- The sun does not set here until midnight....and then rises back again in 2-3 hours....it's pretty cool to experience this. As I type this, it's 12.45am and it's still bright outside :). One of these days I will go for a walk at midnight, or later :).
- We visited 2 places today - the Alaska Native Heritage Center, and Kincaid Park. Both were great...we hiked about 5-6 miles at the park, and spotted a moose. We also saw views of the Alaskan mountain range, and the cook inlet. The park has an area for disc golfing, which was a new game I saw being played today. At the heritage center, we learnt about the native tribes and the homes they lived in, and the kind of life they lived (or still live). It was fascinating!
- The greenery around here and the flowers are something which I love. It's soothing to my eyes!
- The greenery around here and the flowers are something which I love. It's soothing to my eyes!


4 comments:
That is surprisingly warm!
Hope you find more to do than the mall...what a strange answer!
In seeking things to do, you could
take a short walk
by yourself and then trust your intuition
to lead you ...
I am surprised that the reception lady did not give u a brochure with a list of local attractions --that is more or less the standard reaction that I have come across. Sunlight at midnight does sound super cool ! Savour it while u are there.
@Deana - I had more things to do in my list than the time....I just thought sometimes local people can help you pick the best choice. And yes, it's been pretty warm here :).
@Andy - Lots of time to ponder n reflect here....walks are good for that as well.
@Kunal - Savoring it to the max....you should visit this place sometime, it's awesome!
Post a Comment