October 10, 2009

The FLU!!!!

Almost 10 years and I had avoided this disease.

I never took the shot coz my doctor always advised me against it.

Growing up in India, I have suffered from malaria, typhoid, jaundice, stomach virus, chronic dry cough, and what not. So after coming here, I was hoping I stay healthy. As they say, it's a crime to fall sick in the US. And how true that statement is!!!!

Except for developing pollen allergy, I have had a fairly clean bill of health in the US so far. The weather in my sunshine state of California is amazing. It is wonderful most of the time, and it helps me stay healthy, not only physically, but mentally as well.

But this year, even before the flu season started, even before the flu shots were available, I got the bug. FLU!!!! It started with an itchy throat, then cold/cough, then fever, then chills, and last but not the least, headache and achy joints.

I took 3 days off from work, and was home for 5 straight days, just resting. I had never realized how tired flu can make you. The only thing I could do is fix up one meal for hubby and me everyday.

I could not do much at all. I read one book, watched couple movies ("State of Play", "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" - both were good), and watched some telly. Other than that, it was extremely boring and frustrating.

Saturday was good coz my friend Shubhika drove over from the bay area. I had a really nice time chatting up with her - every time I meet her, I am amazed at how much we have in common! We made a short trip to Apple Hill - did apple picking, some miscellaneous impromptu shopping (peacock feathers, incense sticks, a pair of earrings with a matching necklace, a kitty t-shirt for a friend) and enjoyed a nice picnic lunch at a pumpkin patch.

But I got tired after this short outing, and so took it easy all day Sunday and Monday before getting back to work on Tuesday.

I missed my sister a lot during this time. And ofcourse my mom. When I am sick, I like someone to make me warm meals - simple stuff, but I hate to do it myself. And even though I have an amazing group of friends around me, this time around no one offered me any help. I was taken aback a little bit, but maybe they were busy and wanted to stay away from the flu so did not offer much.

I am also very cranky and irritated during this time. I don't handle discussions very well - I tend to argue for no reason, I fail to take people positively, and in general, I am a pain in the rear.

Only when you are down you realize the importance of simple things in your life. The constant itchy throat, blocked nose and headache had taken away my peaceful sleep, which I cherish so much every single day :).

I am so glad I am healthy again. I am enjoying a relaxing weekend....with no agenda and no plans. I don't get many such weekends :)

And I am looking forward to my sister being back in town to stay with me tomorrow :)

You guys have a great weekend too!

5 comments:

Seeker said...

I also am happy that you are well again ... and having had this flu will have strengthened your immune system :)

Shubhika Taneja said...

ur picnic lunch reminds me, i tried ur recipe last night..def was not even close to what you made (mine came out very sticky)...will give it another shot in some time :-)

Shachi said...

@Andy - Thank you :) I hope I am stronger now!

@Shubhika - I'm glad u tried it....you will get it right the next time around :)

Keshi said...

We need to get the flu every now n then Shachi, cos it gets rid of all the gunk in our system :)

Anyways Im glad ur well now.

Enjoy ur time with ur sis!

X
Keshi.

Shachi said...

@Keshi - Dont know about the flu, but I got a much needed break from work....I've been working since 9yrs at Intel and am itching to take my sabbatical (which is 2 yrs overdue now).....Sis being with me is a blessing! Thanks for stopping by here....