On Sunday, I ran a very tough 10K trail race, organized by Intel. On a very chilly day (which is perfect for long runs), the course took us through the Folsom Prison grounds, giving us a chance to peek into a side of Folsom we never get to see. The course was hilly, with constant ups and downs, taking us through streams and bridges, through bushes and trees. It was single track all the way. It kicked my butt, to say the least :).
Towards the very end, I stepped on a small rock on the trail and fell down, hard. My left knee got bruised, but I was able to finish strong. I also got a bad blister on my right toe during the run, but it was not painful while I was running. Both were minor injuries and I'm well on my way to being healed now!
Here's what I learnt:
:: If you sign up for a race, please train for it. You could get injured badly if you don't, and pay for your mistake for years to come. {In my case: I have been running on and off since the beginning of this year, hence I had the courage to go ahead with this race. Earlier this week, I also did a couple of strength training workouts at the Intel gym, and figured I should be able to hack it.}
:: Eat well, hydrate well, sleep well - the day before the race. {I stayed up until 2.30am to pack for my upcoming vacation. I also skipped dinner (sigh) and was snacking on junk while packing. The only thing I did was hydrate well.}
:: Plan your outfit and lay it out on the bed the night before. Also plan your morning breakfast well, and pack snacks/water for the race if needed. Charge your ipod/phone and keep headphones with your outfit. {Can you believe that I did all these things? YAY ME!}.
:: Take a shower a couple of hours before the race to warm up your muscles. And stretch using a foam roller. {I showered at 2.30am before going to bed instead. And foam roller is my best friend - I used it before and after}.
:: Don't be indecisive until the last minute. {I showed up at the venue thinking I will change my run to a 5K. But when I went to pick up my BIB, I saw that my number was the last 4 digits of my cell phone. It made me smile, and gave me a nudge that this is meant to be. So I stuck with my original plan.}
:: Once you start running, leave all worries behind and just have fun. {Which is what I precisely did}.
:: A running group helps. A lot. Train with one. They will support you and inspire you all the way. I'm proud to be associated with Runnin' for Rhett and they were there with me, before and after the race.
I have another 5K race this Saturday - this time the whole family plans to do it - let's see how it goes :)! Wish us luck!


3 comments:
I could make a million comments on this post :) Like
- R Sr and Jr are going to run a 5K race this weekend ????
- YAY you :)
- I know you are a teenager, and teenagers do such things, but seriously lady 2.30 AM ??????
- Hee Ho Ho at placing the running outfit on your bed the previous night.
- What on earth is a foam roller ?
- You decide on the length of a race based on the bib number matching with your cellphone ???? :):):)
- Hello prison visitor !!!
- What on earth are you still doing in the US girl. Aren't you supposed to be in India already. The dinner I ordered is getting cold :):)
For such learned remarks, YAY ME !
Wow I'm so impressed!!! Hope your leg is ok though. Congrats Sachi :-))))
10K! Wow Shachi. Congratulations. Running with family will be so much fun. All the best. :)
Post a Comment