When is the last time you did or experienced something new ?
Family & friends who interact with me regularly and know me intimately will tell you that I get bored easily and I am always curious to try new things.
My nephew had a birthday party at a rage room today. I’ve been wanting to try one out for a while - my therapist even suggested an outing for me during a phase when anger would bubble up constantly after Sameer’s death - but I couldn’t make it happen….until today.
So how did it go?
Mixed feelings.
As a person who hates over consumption, is eco conscious, vegan, and peace loving in general — breaking so many things that were in pristine condition hurt my heart.
Some stuff was already broken - like car windshields, beer bottles, broken plates and bowls, etc.
But a lot of stuff that was put in bins was in pristine condition. There were cute little teapots, there were mugs from Harvard and UCLA and St Helens eruption, there were toys and trays, and seeing them all shatter into pieces was a bit too much for me.
I also didn’t feel very safe in there. We were in a smaller room with just family, while my nephew was with his friends in a bigger room. We had suited up with safety gear, although we realized later that we had forgotten ear plugs. I was constantly watching myself to avoid getting hit or injured.
However, I can see the appeal of having a safe controlled environment where you are actually allowed to smash things. For anyone carrying a lot of grief, anger or frustration, it can feel cathartic.
Would I go again? Probably not.
They DO have another version involving paint though. That sounds much more up my alley.




1 comment:
There's something called a "rage room" ?? Well, no thank you. That's not a new experience I would ever want to try. Good for you though - mixed feelings or not, if you enjoyed it even a wee bit, go for it.
But to get into a paintball fight ? Yeah sure. That's much more appealing ! No doubt you did a fair bit of something similar during Holi back in Gujarat.
Post a Comment